geode-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Emery <dem...@pivotal.io>
Subject Defining public SPIs in Geode
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2019 23:52:50 GMT
We are exploring adding one or more public Service Provider Interfaces (SPIs) for Geode, and
would like some guidance about standards, conventions, precedent, and such.

Do we have standards or conventions for creating SPIs? Good examples? Bad examples?

Are there standards or conventions described elsewhere (e.g. Spring) that we should consider
when defining SPIs?

Is it as simple(!) as defining a service interface, then using Java's ServiceLoader mechanism
to discover and load instances of it?

Any additional considerations for adding a public SPI, compared to a private one?

Cheers,
Dale