geode-dev mailing list archives

From Udo Kohlmeyer <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Adding Micrometer to Apache Geode
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2019 18:06:46 GMT
I agree with Jacob here. Great to see such great strides forward

+1 deprecating old Stats APIs

It would be good to see the new Micrometer stats have a logical
grouping, that makes it easier for users to search for metrics.

Does this mean that Geode will now support fully tagged/dimension
metrics? What about JMX?

--Udo

On 1/15/19 09:43, Jacob Barrett wrote:
> I am good with this proposal as long as it includes the deprecation of all the current
stats APIs and VSD such that Micrometer is the only go forward stats definition and collection
API in 2.0.

>> On Jan 15, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Mark Hanson <mhanson@pivotal.io> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I would like to propose that we incorporate Micrometer into Geode to allow us to
collect statistics and make them more easily available to external services should someone
chose to implement support for that.

>> In some basic testing, it does not appear to have a significant impact on performance
to hook this in. I think that in the long run it will really improve the visibility of the
systems stats in real-timeā€¦ This will also allow some extensibility for people who want
to hook into their tracking infrastructure, such as New Relic or Data Dog, though we are not
putting that in.