geode-dev mailing list archives

From Udo Kohlmeyer <...@apache.org>
Subject Core tenets of Geode
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2018 19:12:45 GMT
Hi there Geode dev's.

I'm starting to notice more and more discussions about proposed features
or JIRA tickets, where imo, core Geode tenets are being violated.
Initially I thought that Geode must be lacking core tenets, to guide our
decisions. BUT then I noticed that we do state the on the home page.
http://geode.apache.org/

I would like to remind everyone working on Geode of the following tenets
which Geode lives and dies by:

 1. Performance
 2. Consistency
 3. Low Latency
 4. High concurrency
 5. Elastic scalability
 6. Reliable transactions
 7. Share-nothing architecture

The reason I am calling this out, is that every decision we make, every
piece of code we write needs to meet and exceed (if possible) these
tenets. IF a solution or feature violates ANY one of the tenets, that is
solution needs to be revised to meet these tenets.

I would like to suggest that in the future we add two more tenets:

 1. Modular
 2. Predictable

Imo, Geode has to be modular. A simple architecture where it is possible
to easily replace modules of the system with more suitable (and greatly
improved) successors.

As for */Predictable/*, Geode needs to be predictable in the following
areas:

  * Latency
  * Error Handling
  * Service contracts