geode-dev mailing list archives

From Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Should we evaluate at commit messages as part of PR review?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2018 22:05:51 GMT
*The commit message should follow imperative style.* The wiki page seems to
be missing this even though we agreed to it several times on the dev-list
over the last 3 years. I'll add this to the wiki page.

You can then say *"If I apply this commit, then it will..."* for any of the
git commits. For an explanation, see *https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
<https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/>*

Example:

*Use this:*

*GEODE-xxxx: Fix failing CompositePropertySourceTest*

Instead of:
GEODE-xxxx: Fixing failing CompositePropertySourceTest
GEODE-xxxx: Fixed failing CompositePropertySourceTest

And *definitely* instead of:
GEODE-xxxx: failing CompositePropertySourceTest
GEODE-xxxx: polishing stuff
GEODE-xxxx: CompositePropertySourceTest is failing intermittently

Just to be clear, these last 5 are examples of how you should NOT word the
commit message.