geode-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Schuchardt <bschucha...@pivotal.io>
Subject distributedTest hang
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:00:59 GMT
  The distributedTest hangs are once again caused by deserialization
problems in a query message class.  The deserialization errors are
caused by the fix for GEODE-4822
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-4822>, which I am going to
revert this morning.  We obviously don't have the test coverage to
ensure that this fix doesn't cause problems and I don't want to keep
finding new and unusual hangs.

Details, if you have the time:

The hang occurred because someone checked in a new
query/indexing/pdx-read-serialized test at the same time I checked in a
fix for a different hang.  The message class that I modified turns out
to have a field that sometimes holds an internal Geode object and other
times holds a user object.  In the former case we want to protect
against it having been PDX serialized by ignoring pdx-read-serialized.
In the latter case we want to respect the user's pdx-read-serialized
setting.  There's no straightforward way of knowing which kind of object
it is, internal or external, before deserializing it.