geode-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Huynh <jasonhu...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] FunctionAdapter incompatible serialVersionUID
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:18:49 GMT
This is a discussion for the fix to GEODE-4008:
InvalidClassException when deserializing FunctionAdapter from pre Geode
clients

There was a change to deprecate FunctionAdapter in Geode (before 1.0), and
this also removed the method signatures in the class. This caused Java to
generate a new serialVersionUID to the class because one was not assigned
previously. However we have clients pre Geode that when they attempt to
execute a function by serializing the function across (not using a function
id), the FunctionAdapter class is unable to deserialize properly.

The proposed fix is to assign a serialVersionUID to the class that matches
that of the pre Geode FunctionAdapter. This will cause any Geode 1.0-1.3
clients to now run into the error but the older clients would work fine.
Because FunctionAdapter has been deprecated it should be easy enough for
Geode 1.0-1.3 users to change their custom classes to implement Function
directly and not use the deprecated FunctionAdapter class.

Please let me know if there is a better solution or if there are problems
with the proposed fix.

Thanks,

-Jason