geode-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CI improvements
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 20:17:15 GMT
Comments inline

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 11:51 AM, Mark Bretl <asf.mbretl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Correct, there is no requirement from ASF about where to run CI or even to
> run CI. I am all for the best tools and stable (and repeatable)
> environments. I would be open to seeing how Concourse could work for Geode.
>
> Once the Concourse environment is setup, probably would be best to update
> the Jenkins job to a pipeline job type as well.
>
> There a few questions I have, which can be discussed as we go:
> - What does 'donate' mean for Pivotal? Is there a, for lack of a better
> term, contract or is this a 'good faith' effort? I am hesitant to go to any
> corporately controlled infrastructure, especially since the entity could
> decide to stop funding.

Pivotal is offering to fund a cloud account with resources for the Geode project.  I can’t
predict the future but I wouldn’t be surprised to see more ASF projects receiving this kind
of support in the future given the increasing popularity of cloud computing (not to mention
the complexity of donating capital assets).  If at some point Pivotal does stop funding this
effort and we can’t find another donor, we can always fall back to ASF Jenkins :-)

> - What types of activities will require admin assistance?

Admin support should be fairly minimal and would include activities like initial deployment
and configuration, upgrades to bosh / concourse, adding more compute resources, or troubleshooting
occasional cloud hiccups.

> - Who will be watching the dev list for requests?

Assuming we reach consensus to move forward with this proposal, expect to see some introductions
on the dev list.  Does that help?