geode-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Barrett <jbarr...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Use of -1 as Infinite/All for retry related functions...
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 00:37:56 GMT
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 4:37 PM Mark Hanson <mhanson@pivotal.io> wrote:

>  C# a very new
> language has added the same -1 behavior, so obviously it does not cause
> major problems.

Can you cite references here?

The major problem comes when dealing with units. When we change the time
based methods to take units to remove ambiguity -1 is no longer a trivial
solution. The simplest explanation for that is -1s != -1ms, so you can't
simply check for -1 sentinel values. You could say that all values less
than 0s are infinite but why make things like this in modern times. We have
better ways to express meaningful values.

-Jake