geode-dev mailing list archives

From Swapnil Bawaskar <sbawas...@pivotal.io>
Subject ReflectionBasedAutoSerializer by default?
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:58:05 GMT
I believe it would be much better user experience if we just serialized
user's domain object without requiring the user to configure anything.
Currently, we require that the user specify that they want to use the
ReflectionBasedAutoSerializer and the pattern that matches the domain
objects.

Looking at this code
<https://github.com/apache/geode/blob/8bf39571471642beaaa36c9626a61a90bd3803c2/geode-core/src/main/java/org/apache/geode/pdx/internal/AutoSerializableManager.java#L213>
it
looks like the pattern can be made optional. Also, we can go ahead and
configure ReflectionBasedAutoSerializer to be set by default on Cache
startup (if one is not specified already). We should also set
pdx-read-serialized to true in this case.
For advanced use cases where the user wishes to exclude certain fields,
they can specify the pattern.
If the users are using DataSerializable, that should still take precedence
over PDX, so we won't break existing users.

Are there any major concerns around this approach?

Thanks!
Swapnil.