geode-dev mailing list archives

From Michael William Dodge <mdo...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Automating docker builds for geode-native
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:14:34 GMT
I think this would be a good idea as configuring a machine for building can be a barrier to
entry for people wishing to contribute.

Sarge

> On 10 Feb, 2017, at 12:29, Anthony Baker <abaker@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> The geode-native build, like most c++ projects, requires a fairly specific toolchain.
 Now that we have a docker build environment [1], I’d like to ask INFRA to automate the
creation and publishing of docker images for geode-native.  This can be done by integrating
GitHub / DockerHub [2].  Note that the docker image would *only* be for build purposes and
would not contain source or binaries from geode-native.  By publishing our build toolchain
in a docker image:

> 1) it makes contributing easier
> 2) it makes our travis-ci builds faster (currently at ~30min)
> 3) it paves the way to create a nightly Jenkins job for geode-native
>
> I suggest publishing this image under the apache namespace [3] as geode-native-build.
 Thoughts?