geode-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geode website tagged with minor Apache branding issue in audit
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 00:49:27 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Greg Chase <greg@gregchase.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM, William Markito <wmarkito@pivotal.io>
> wrote:
>
> > We had a similar feedback from Niall during the first rollout of the
> > website and then we increased the font-size of the disclaimer and the
> size
> > of the incubator logo.
> >
> > I'd agree with Dave and we should definitely improve but with a more
> proper
> > specifics to nail it.
>

> The reviewer admits there is not a consensus on what a more specific
> guideline should be.  Personally I think our rendering should be sufficient
> in absence of that consensus.  To do more things would require pretty
> significant changes to our web design concept.

I think its worth thinking about this from a TLP rather than incubator
perspective. Apache identity is symbolized by the feather and IMO the
projects that best embrace Apache and its branding do one of two things.
They either 1) incorporate the feather in their project logo or 2) they
display the Apache logo prominently at the top on their website. There are
alot of examples of projects that haven't done either of these things and
TBH I don't understand why they seem to "hide" their Apache identity. As
geode's logo doesn't incorporate the logo, then I would love to see Geode
going down the second route. Below are two lists of projects that have gone
this route (the first using the current Apache feather, the second using
older designs).

Going back to the incubator branding issue, I think Geode should
incorporate the Incubator logo in its banner at the top of the page, with
the aim of replacing it with one of the Apache feather logos when it
graduates to a TLP.

Niall

Projects using latest Feather logos:
    http://archiva.apache.org/index.cgi