gearpump-dev mailing list archives

From Kam Kasravi <kamkasr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Podling status report - draft v1
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 04:25:36 GMT
+1

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 5, 2016, at 8:04 PM, Sean Zhong <clockfly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Andy make it clear that the list of three things can "evolve over time", and the readers
are board members who don't understand the details. We should use different terms to describe
"our view of progress", and "board members' view". And the link Andy gave is very informative
http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html, let's use it as
a major reference:

> For Kam's option on long term roadmap and vision, I think we can put it under umbrella
of website building.

> After consolidating the outputs above, in my opinion, here are the three important things
in ONE MONTH's time frame (As this is a monthly report):

> 1. Make initial Apache branded release, things to fix:
>     a. Importing code to Apache Git is still blocked by INFRA-11435
>     b. Fix code style and code quality to align with Apache practice GEARPUMP-11
>     c. Request maven artifact id OSSRH-21642
>
> 2. Initial community process definition and practice enforcement by following Apache
policies, things to fix:
>    a. Define and document code style guide. (GEAPUMP-12)
>    b. Define and document process to make contributions, voting rule, and make releases.
And also how we response to community questions in a  timely manner. (GEARPUMP-13)
>    c. Get familiar with and practice with "transparency" and "Consensus" rules, use the
PMC maillist and Dev maillist as the main channel for big decisions.

> 3. Build the first Apache branded Informative website to make Gearpump contributor and
end-user friendly.
>    a. Find out where to place the website.
>    b. Define a slogan for Gearpump (From Kam: Develop a tag line that describes gearpump)
>    c. Work out the website with Apache logo, and meet quality criteria. (GEARPUMP-15)
>    d. On the website, document milestones, roadmaps, release calendars. Of course it
requires a consensus from the community first.  (GEARPUMP-16)

> [...]
>> > batch data processing
>> >
>> >   - Apache Spark™ is a fast and general engine for large-scale data
>> > processing
>> >
>> >   - Apache Storm is a free and open source distributed realtime
>> > computation system.
>> >
>> >   - Apache Beam is an open source, unified model and set of
>> > language-specific SDKs for defining data processing workflows that may then
>> > be executed on top of a set of supported runners
>> >
>> >   2. Focus on use cases that leverage akka strengths (location
>> > transparency, remoting, code provisioning, dynamic deployment)
>> >   3. Target areas within apache ecosystem where gearpump can provide
>> > significant value.
>> >    - Many real time data processing engines are exploring reusable
>> > pipelines including spark (ml pipelines), akka-streams (blueprints)
>> >    - Other real time data processing engines are targeting a common data
>> > model DSL which allows different execution engines (apache beam and
>> > 'runners')

>> >     On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:51 AM, Kam Kasravi
>> > <kamkasravi@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>> >

>> >  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>> >
>> >   1. Develop a tag line that describes gearpump. For example others
>> >   - Apache Flink is an open source platform for distributed stream and
>> > batch data processing
>> >
>> >   - Apache Spark™ is a fast and general engine for large-scale data
>> > processing
>> >
>> >   - Apache Storm is a free and open source distributed realtime
>> > computation system.
>> >
>> >   - Apache Beam is an open source, unified model and set of
>> > language-specific SDKs for defining data processing workflows that may then
>> > be executed on top of a set of supported runners
>> >

>> >   2. Focus on use cases that leverage akka strengths (location
>> > transparency, remoting, code provisioning, dynamic deployment)
>> >   3. Target areas within apache ecosystem where gearpump can provide
>> > significant value.
>> >

>> >     On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:06 AM, Weihua Jiang <whjiang@outlook.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> >  I agree with Sean and Vincent.
>> >
>> > To graduate, we need to create a healthy community. To me, a healthy
>> > community has:
>> > 1. Enough contributors who actively contribute to this project.
>> > 2. Enough users who actively using this project in their environment. And
>> > they are willing to interact with community for issues and features. Their
>> > requests can be handled in a timely way.
>> >
>> > So, to me, pre-conditions to graduation shall include:
>> > 1. Fully follow Apache project best practices. That is, doc style,
>> > process, releases etc. And it is better to have 2 or more releases before
>> > graduation to get everyone familiar with the new process.
>> > 2. Code quality. It is better if we can meet certain code quality metrics
>> > before graduation and integrated in Apache infrastructure. E.g. Code
>> > coverage, auto-checkin test, etc.
>> > 3. Contributor friendly as Sean mentioned.

The
>> > the

>> > andrew.purtell@gmail.com

>> > doing