forrest-user mailing list archives

From Sjur Moshagen <sju...@mac.com>
Subject Re: forest project status
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:11:55 GMT
Hello Eric,

Den 19. feb 2013 kl. 16:06 skrev Eric Palmer:

> I'm researching apache cms like projects for a specific project need and I came across
Forest.  It seems interesting but the user mailing list has had no updates since 2009 and
the forest-dev list shows some svn activity.

> What is the status of the forest project? Is it still a viable project and is it likely
to exist into the near future?

Viability can be hard to define, but as you can see from the mailing lists it isn't very active
at the moment. That said, there are still a number of developers hanging around, and some
maintenance work is done from time to time. I am myself using forrest quite actively in my
daily work, and am quite happy with it - thus no big incentive to take on any additional development
work in addition to my regular tasks. Forrest is one of a number of tools, not a development
target in itself for me. I like it quite a lot, and it has a few unique features I haven't
found elsewhere:

* ability to read a number of different input formats (and extend that list by writing a simple
transform + some configs)
* a similar ability to produce a number of different output format (likewise extendable)

It also allows me to build large and complex sites while at the same time keeping the source
files as text files instead of storing them in some RDB system. This again makes it easy to
keep the documentation part of our version control system, which is important for our sites.

All in all: forrest does what I need, and thus doesn't get a lot of attention development-wise.

Regards,
Sjur