forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forest project status
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 05:41:38 GMT
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Den 19. feb 2013 kl. 16:06 skrev Eric Palmer:
>
> > I'm researching apache cms like projects for a specific project need and I came
across Forest.  It seems interesting but the user mailing list has had no updates since 2009
and the forest-dev list shows some svn activity.

> > What is the status of the forest project? Is it still a viable project and is it
likely to exist into the near future?

> Viability can be hard to define, but as you can see from the mailing lists it isn't very
active at the moment. That said, there are still a number of developers hanging around, and
some maintenance work is done from time to time. I am myself using forrest quite actively
in my daily work, and am quite happy with it - thus no big incentive to take on any additional
development work in addition to my regular tasks. Forrest is one of a number of tools, not
a development target in itself for me. I like it quite a lot, and it has a few unique features
I haven't found elsewhere:

> * ability to read a number of different input formats (and extend that list by writing
a simple transform + some configs)
> * a similar ability to produce a number of different output format (likewise extendable)
>
> It also allows me to build large and complex sites while at the same time keeping the
source files as text files instead of storing them in some RDB system. This again makes it
easy to keep the documentation part of our version control system, which is important for
our sites.

> All in all: forrest does what I need, and thus doesn't get a lot of attention development-wise.
>
> Regards,
> Sjur

Very nice answer.

Eric, the project is still operating and ready to respond
whenever someone spurs some activity.

The Apache Software Foundation ensures that there is sufficient
activity in each project. If there was not, then it would have been
moved to the Apache Attic.

Most discussion about the project is encouraged to be on the
"dev" mail list.

This "user" list is for assistance with specific usage issues.

Thanks for your interest, and we hope to see you join us as a "dev".

-David