forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest news
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:26:56 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> ARobert wrote:
> >
> >First of all, thanks for your answer.
> >
> >I will try to get involved in this project ... If I find time to ...
> >
> >I would like to tell (with my poor english speaking) that Forrest is
> >a very
> >good project. But as a good forrest user I would like to add this
> >
> >In my opinion :
> >- Forrest web site is bad structured, it's hard to find information in
> >documention
>
> I agree 100% I know roughly what content we have yet I can't find it!

There is some unfinished development effort in our
"dev" mail archives. A rearrangement was commenced but
not completed. It is better than it was but still
needs some tweaking. IIRC some issues were resolved
but not yet implemented.

> >- Forrest web site is not really "beautiful", it would be fine to
> >find a
> >Forrest icone (Hope I'm not offending someone) and to work on
> >Forrest CSS
> >(Since it's quite easy with the generated Forrest HTML code)
>
> Forrest is still using the same skin it was using when started in 2002
> - it's certainly time for an update.

We have tried to encourage CSS experts to assist.
One new committer helped with some essential groundwork
development. Search the dev archives and the issue tracker.
We need to now go the next stage.

> >- The news page seems died.
>
> No news is sometimes good news. Forrest 0.8 is stable and extremely
> useful. 0.9 is ticking along.
>
> However, I agree that it can give the impression of no activity and
> should be rectified in some way.
>
> >- It's hard to find the Jira or Nabble page on Google.
>
> Well I would argue that we don't want nabble and jira appearing as the
> number one searches. Nabble is nothing to do with us, Jira is only of
> interest to developers who should know where to go.

That was my reaction too.

There is an assumption on our website that most people who
need to use the Issue tracker or the mail lists etc. are
developers. So see the "Developers" tab.

> Having said that, Tim Williams recently posted on the dev list about
> having created a custom Google search for Forrest. We should make that
> the default search engine from the Forrest home page. This can include
> mail archives and Jira

Yes.

However, Forrest users could take advantage of the
"Forrestbar" (for Firefox). I find it such a valuable tool.
Providing direct search of Forrest resources and also
access to behind-the-scenes data of forrest processing steps.
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbar.html

> >- It's hard to find support on google.
>
> Google searches the internet. The best place to find support for any
> project is via the search facilities provided by that project which
> will usually be more narrowly focussed.
>
> (although see above about custom search engine)
>
> >- I always find information about forrest 0.7 whereas i'm looking
> >for 0.8 :(

There is a trick if you stumble across old docs:
Replace "docs_0_70" in the URL with either "docs"
or "docs/dev".

> 0.7 has been around longer than 0.8 and therefore is linked to more.
>
> Perhaps we should put a header on the 0.7 pages saying that these are
> not the docs for the latest version and providing a link to the latest
> (this can be done automatically).

There is already. See the top-right under the PDF icon.

I recognised that problem ages ago and made
some solution with the "Message of the day" facility.

Perhaps it could be more emphatic on the old release docs.

-David