forrest-user mailing list archives

From Pablo Barrera <barr...@gsyc.es>
Subject Re: Using plugins in local dir
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:02:56 GMT

On 19/09/2008, at 21:24:11, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Pablo Barrera wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have modified a plugin and I want to install it in my site project.
>
> Do you really want to fork this code? That gives you the maintenance
> headache of managing it in the future. Much better would be to
> propose your modification as a contribution to the Forrest project
> where any future changes to the plugin will be done in a way that
> will not break your own modifications.

I am totally agree. But right now the plugin is not finished and in
it's current state breaks the tei plugin for everybody else. When it
is ready I will be glad to send it to the list but right now I need to
have it working with a dirty hack (for example, no configuration
options).

> Of course, if these changes are highly local to your site and not of
> interest to the wider community then  you may need to maintain your
> own version.

Right now, they are. But my plan is to work a little bit more on then
to make it more general.

>> If I have understand it correctly, according to this [1] I should
>> copy the whole directory to MYSITE/plugins and modify my
>> forrest.properties file as
>> project.required.plugins.src=${forrest.home}/plugins,$
>> {forrest.home}/whiteboard/plugins,/export/forrest_plugins
>
> That is just an example, the full text of the paragraph says:
>
> "If you have a collection of local plugins you would like Forrest to
> use then you need to add the directory to this property. For
> example: project.required.plugins.src=${forrest.home}/plugins,$
> {forrest.home}/whiteboard/plugins,/export/forrest_plugins"
>
> The important part being. This is not as clear as it could be, a
> better phrasing is:
>
> "If you have a collection of plugins in a local directory, such as
> 'export/forrest_plugins' then you need to add that directory to this
> property. For example: project.required.plugins.src=${forrest.home}/
> plugins,${forrest.home}/whiteboard/plugins,/export/forrest_plugins"
>
>> Forrest uses the old version of the plugin instead of the new one,
>> located on MYSITE/plugins. I know this plugin should work, because
>> when I move the folder into the forrest code (the default location
>> for the plugins) I obtain the desired output. Am I missing
>> something here?
>
> Are your plugins in /export/forrest_plugins, that is where you have
> told Forrest to look for them.

Is /export/ a global path or a relative path? I guess it's global.

The line I was using was:
project.required.plugins.src=${project.home}/plugins,${forrest.home}/
plugins,${forrest.home}/whiteboard/plugins

If I have understand it correctly, I should change it to:
project.required.plugins.src=/home/pablo/MYSITE/plugins,$
{forrest.home}/plugins,${forrest.home}/whiteboard/plugins

and forrest will look first to my directory, so I don't need to change
the name to the plugin.

> If yes...
>
> This is now a different plugin, have you changed the name of the
> plugin? If not then Forrest will stop looking for it once it finds a
> copy, with the property setting you have aboe this means it will
> find the one in Forrest first.
>
> I ask again though, are you sure you want to fork this plugin?

Right now, I am pretty sure. Next week will be a different thing.

--
Pablo Barrera
http://gsyc.es/~barrera/