forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Dr. Bhatia Praveen" <praveen.bha...@sumpurn.com>
Subject RE: <a name="xxx"> being added for @id
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:45:57 GMT
Hi,
   Intuitively I also felt strange that <a name="xxx"> and < input id="xxx">
should get entangled this way. In the <input > element I did not give any
name attribute but when in the JavaScript I did:
 alert(document.getElementById("xxx").name) it gave "xxx" !

 When I comment out the <a name=""> generation in the document-to-html.xsl
alert  gives "undefined" and <input id="xxx" > responds correctly to any
changes made to its value by JavaScript.

 I use internet explorer Version 6.0 (Japanese version). Could it be due the
browser?

Praveen

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:07 AM
To: user@forrest.apache.org
Subject: Re: <a name="xxx"> being added for @id

Dr. Bhatia Praveen wrote:
> Hello,
>   I need your expert advice on the following.
>   I use javaScript code via <script>....</script> inside xml file which
> would be rendered into html later.
>
>   I use a <input id="xxx"> element too.
>   I noticed that document-to-html.xsl recognizes @id and adds <a
> name="xxx"/> before the input element, because of which the
> document.getElementById("xxx") ends up getting the wrong element.

eh?
getElementById does what it says. It gets the element with a given id.
It shouldn't (can't?) return the anchor element with the name attribute.
Are you sure you diagnosed tho real problem?

>   To overcome the problem I commented out the <a name="xxx"> generation in
> document-to-html.xsl, which made the code work !
>   What are :
> 1) The consequences of this change to what forrest normally expects or
does?

The most immediate side effect will be that table of contents and other
cross referencing will not work.

> 2) What could be a better workaround than the hack that I did?

Lets see if this really in the problem.

Ross