forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Howto use <div> or <span> within the document-dtd?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:51:27 GMT
EMMEL Thomas wrote:
> Ok, I solved it by adding an own DTD for my project, which was a bit
> hard since there are several informations in the forrest docs which are
> hard to follow if you dont decide to read the whole docs.

Patches welcome and appreciated.

> I took several informations from the location you gave and the
> mailing-list where I wonder in the end how this ever could have worked
> for anyone else (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02344.html) since
> I had to change some small issues...

Don't keep it to yourself, share the info. Patches welcome - this is a
community project.

> To the other point:
> Why should Forrest not intended to be a web publishing framework???

The first line of our home page says "Apache Forrest is a publishing
framework that transforms input from various sources into a unified
presentation in one or more output formats."

Web is only one output format. It *can* be used as a web publishing
framework, and many people do use it as such. However, that was not why
it was created. If someone wants a web publication framework and does
not intend to publish in any format there are other, arguably better, tools.

Your fist engagement with this project was to ask how to do something
that only makes sense on the web and as a result you have already had to
define a new DTD and XSL stylesheet. Why? Because Forrest is not a web
publication framework, but a general purpose publication framework.

Ross