forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need help regarding RSS feed in forrest
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:56:44 GMT
manojm_singh wrote:
> Hi rgardler  thanks for the reply. I followed the link provided by u and did
> the same but not able to render the RSS feeds. I did like this
> My feedDescriptor is like this and i put it in a folder like ->
> xdocs\ConnectM\Technology\feedDescriptor.xml
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <feedDescriptor>
>   <feed id="BBCSport_UK">
>
> <url>http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/sportonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss.xml#</url>
>   </feed>
> </feedDescriptor>
>
> and i have made an entry in site.xml  like this
>
> <technology label="Technology" href="ConnectM/Technology/" tab="Technology">
>   	<overview label="Overview" href="technology.html" />
>   	<m2m label="M2M" href="m2m.html" />
>   	<java label="Java" href="java.html" />
> 	<java label="RSS Link" href="Rss.html" />
> </technology>
>

> where Rss.xml is the feed xml file. Whenever i click on "RSS Link" nothing
> is getting displayed.
>
> Please help......

Doing what the instructions say will help, see
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.feeder/samples/singleFeed.html

Your feed descriptor is OK, but your URL to request it is incorrect (as
described in the above document):

--- start quote ---

In this URL you must replace PATH_TO_FEED_DESCRIPTOR with the directory
path to your feed descriptor file, FEED_DESCRIPTOR_NAME with the name of
the descriptor file, and EXTENSION with the extension indicating the
format you want the feed to be delivered in (i.e. html, pdf etc.)

--- end quote ---

so you need:

This means your site.xml should be:

<technology label="Technology" href="ConnectM/Technology/" tab="Technology">
   <overview label="Overview" href="technology.html" />
   <m2m label="M2M" href="m2m.html" />
   <java label="Java" href="java.html" />
   <java label="RSS Link" href="feedDescriptor.rss.html" />
</technology>

To test this just do 'forrest run' and try:

http://localhsot:8888/ConnectM/Technology/feedDescriptor.rss.html

You don't mention it, so I will... you need to ensure you enable the
plugin or it will never work, see
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_90/usingPlugins.html

Ross