forrest-user mailing list archives

From Stuart Yeates <stuart.yea...@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
Subject Re: encoding problem
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:18:10 GMT
Gwangho E wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just started to use forrest 0.8 on Japanese version of Windows Vista.
> When I render my xml pages(saved in UTF-8) by 'forrest run',
> everything goes well.
> But, rendering those same xml pages by 'forrest site' creates
> unreadable HTML files
> in which Japanese characters were encoded incorrectly.
>
> When I saved all xml files in 'Shift_JIS' and changed the related line
> of the sitemap.xmap
> as follows,
>
>       <map:serializer name="html" mime-type="text/html"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
>         <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN</doctype-public>
>         <doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd</doctype-system>
>         <encoding>Shift_JIS</encoding>
>       </map:serializer>
>
> both of 'forrest run' and 'forrest site'  created correct HTML files
> in Shift_JIS encoding.
>
> Is there anyone who knows what made the differece of rendered results
> between by 'forrest run' and by 'forrest site' in processing UTF-8 xml files?
> Thanks.

Another solution to this (assuming you're serving the files using
apache httpd) is to use a .htaccess file to tell the webserver what
encoding you're using:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

That line (with a newline) in a file called ".htaccess" in the root
of you generated content will tell httpd that the files are UTF-8.
This assumes that httpd is configured to permit delegation of
access. It will enable you to change the encoding used by the http
without regenerating your content.

cheers
stuart

--