forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Brolin Empey" <brolin.em...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: generate only pages changed since last static site build?
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:43:19 GMT
Brolin Empey <brolin.empey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim:
>
> The Cocoon checksum feature sounds like it may work.  I will try it
> when I return to work and will let you know the results.

The Cocoon checksum feature seems to work, but I have a configuration
problem with specifying checksums-uri in cli.xconf.

I need checksums-uri to be relative to e.g. the root of my Forrest
project (the directory containing forrest.properties and src/) so that
I can use a relative path to a checksums file in my build/site/
directory.

I do not want to hard-code an absolute path because this path will
break if I move the SVN working copy of my Forrest site, or if someone
else checks out a copy of my Forrest site.

I tried setting checksums-uri to just "checksums", but then the build
process hangs when I run "forrest" to rebuild the static site because
the JVM encounters a Java IO exception when attempting to write the
checksums file.  This happens because I do not have write permission
for whichever directory checksums-uri is relative to.  I tried
enabling both verbose and debug output for both Forrest and the JVM,
but when the JVM encounters the Java IO exception it still does not
say which path it is trying to write to.

So, my questions are:

1. Which directory is checksums-uri relative to?

2. Is there any way to get the path of the file that could not be
written when the JVM encounters a Java IO exception?  I am using Sun's
JDK on Linux:

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

3. Can I make checksums-uri relative to e.g. the root of my Forrest
project?  I notice I can set e.g. a context directory in cli.xconf,
but I do not know what else is affected by this setting.

If possible, I would like to avoid having to specify an absolute path
to a temporary location, such as /tmp/checksums, and copy the
checksums file back into my build/site/ directory.

Thanks,
Brolin