forrest-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Ohly <Patrick.O...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: generate only pages changed since last static site build?
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:12:05 GMT
On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 14:50 -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
> I am using lftp's reverse mirror function to synchronise the local
> site build with the public Web site.  I have to tell lftp to ignore
> file timestamps when determining which local files need to be
> uploaded.  If I do not, lftp will unnecessarily upload all local files
> because of the newer local timestamps.

I use rsync to upload local files. Although it also recognizes all files
as updated, at least the rsync protocol is designed so that only the
(typically very small) delta between local and remote file needs to be
transmitted - this is so fast that the difference to not touching local
files would be almost irrelevant.

I find the feature to not rebuild if the source files have not changed
valuable for a different reason: it would allow a visitor to the page
see when it was really modified. Currently only "last published" is
available.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly