forrest-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Steve Odlind" <>
Subject RE: Broken linkmap.pdf
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:04:56 GMT

On 01/06/07, Steve Odlind <> wrote:
>> The problem seems to be that I am using a custom DTD. If I change the
>> DOCTYPE in the source XML file to point to the Apache Forrest
>> document-v20.dtd (rather than my own custom DTD) and remove "a" from
>> "link" template, then the <a> elements are indeed converted to <link>
>> elements in the internal XML file.
>> When the DOCTYPE of the source XML file points to my own custom DTD,
>> I add "a" to the "link" template, the "basic-link" elements in the
>> file do contain the appropriate
>> "internal-destination"/"external-destination" attribute. So it seems
>> be a spurious error message.

>In my experience these errors are on spat out in the case of genuine
>errors. I suspect you missed something in your fo file that was empty.

>> Any ideas what to try next?

>You say you are using a custom DTD, so you should have a
>transformation converting your source format to XDoc. I'm guessing you
>don't have such a thing and this is why you see errors. If you do have
>such a transformation then it's output is not a valid XDoc - perhaps
>you are missing the doctype declaration?

>I have added the relevant code to my sitemap.xmap, pointing to my
>XSL (if that is what you suggested I do). I have followed the example
>provided at, and
>now get the error message:

>"linkmap.html  BROKEN: C:\Forrest0_8\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\.
> (Access is denied)"

>I have also checked every instance of the "basic-link" element in all
>the .fo files in my site, and they all contain non-empty
>"internal-destination" and "external-destination" attributes.

Addendum: the only <fo:basic-link external-destination="" I found was in

>So is the problem with sitemap.xmap?

>Thanks for any help.


> Thanks for your help,
> Steve
> -----Original Message-----
> From: []
> On Behalf Of Ross Gardler
> Sent: 01 June 2007 09:12
> To:
> Subject: Re: Broken linkmap.pdf
> On 31/05/07, Steve Odlind <> wrote:
> >
> > My 0.7 docs contained numerous external <a href="http://www..."> and
> > internal <a href="#..."> references, which were not included in
> site.xml.
> >
> > When I upgraded to 0.8, I noticed that these links were ignored in
> PDFs.
> > Looking at document-to-fo.xsl, it seems that there is no <template
> > match="a">, only a <template match="link|fork|jump">. When I change
> this
> > template to <template match="a|link|fork|jump">, the build breaks
> the
> > following error message:
> >
> > "linkmap.pdf   BROKEN: internal-destination or external-destination
> must be
> > specified in basic-link"
> >
> > The PDFs are then generated with working links, so this is not so
> of a
> > problem, as the only thing affected is linkmap.pdf. But it would be
> nice to
> > have a successful build.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I have to do to get rid of this error message,
> and
> > still have links that work in PDF? Do I have to change all my <a
> href="">
> > references to <link href="">?
> You are using the v2.0 DTD, so no, do not change your links.
> > The version 0.8 document-v20.mod does not contain entries for
> "fork"
> > or "jump", but they are inlcuded in document-to-fo.xsl? Whereas "a"
> > included in document-v20.mod, but not in document-to-fo.xsl. Is this
> an
> > oversight, or have I missed something?
> There is no match for "a" elements since that element is only valid in
> our XDoc 2.0. internally Forrest uses XDoc 1.3, which only supports
> "link|fork|jump". The conversion from 2.0 to 1.3 is done prior to the
> use of document-to-fo.xsl.
> This was also the case in Forrest 0.7, it has not changed in the 0.8
> release.
> ---
> Given that the error you describe is not affected by any known change
> that I can think of it sounds like it is either a strange side effect
> in your site, or it is an error in your content.
> Here's a few debugging steps we can try:
> using your original source files and an unmodified document-to-fo.xsl
> file request http://localhost:8888/testpage.xml
> This will give you the internal XML that will be fed into the
> document-to-fo.xsl stylesheet.
> Inspect this file for anything strange, you should see that it is now
> using the 1.3 version of the DTD and that all links have been
> converted from "a" to "link|fork|jump" as appropriate.
> Now request http://localhost:8888/ this will give you  the
> formatting objects file used to create the PDF.
> Inspect this file paying particular attention to the links that you
> expect to see.
> If this doesn't highlight any specific problems then post snippets of
> the source, internal xml and FO files. It may trigger a thought in
> someones mind.
> Ross
> ______________________________________________________________________
> This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
> For more information please visit
> ______________________________________________________________________

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit 

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit 

View raw message