forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to start using on eclipse
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:30:29 GMT
On 22/06/07, Praveen Bhatia <praveen.bhatia@einfochips.com> wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,
>    Thanks for the link (http://forrest.apache.org/tools/eclipse.html).
> However I had earlier tried to make sense of the installation notes
> mentioned there:
> "Installation notes
> To get you started while the documentation is being developed, see this
> forrest-dev mail thread: [eclipse] How to install? ."
> But it is not clear from the notes mentioned in the dev-list too as to what
> to do?
>
> To install forrest plugin I expect either :
> 1)  A  .zip file which I need to unzip into plugin and features directory of
> eclipse OR
> 2) A plugin URL from where the plugin will get automatically installed.
>
> Could you please guide me to where this is mentioned? (I downloaded the
> source as I could not get the expected plugin packaged as mentioned above.
> And I hoped to get the source code working instead... I use eclipse for most
> of my development...)
>
> For my current work it will be enough if the plugin can be used via eclipse.

I'm afraid the eclipse plugin is largely unsupported, as are most
things to be found in the whiteboard - that's what the whiteboard is
for. I have not done any work on it for quite some time and I don't
think anyone else uses it. I don't remember any specific details, but
I do remember that we never actually released a version of the plugin.

It does work (or at least did in whatever version of Eclipse was
current at the time, 3.0 I think), but you will have to build the
plugin yourself. To learn how to do that you need to learn a bit about
Eclipse plugin development and this is not the forum for that, but...

By coincidence, I do have a project that is likely to revive work on
this plugin, but not for at least a few months, I think I said that
about another project a few months ago as well, so beware - priorities
do change. If you really need this functionality and have the time to
explore it and work on it with us I will be happy to try and answer
your questions over on the dev list. However, I'm not in a position to
do the work myself right now.

Ross