forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating static pages that are not linked to
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:28:29 GMT
On 14/06/07, Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > Retrieve http://www.bildungsverein.de/linkmap.html and you will see
> > another link to the "hidden" page. This page appears in all Forrest
> > generated sites, it is what Forrest uses to as a list of pages that
> > need to be generated according to site.xml.
>
> That's what I meant by having an additional sitemap (in the web master
> sense of the word).
>
> But this page is not normally linked to from anywhere, is it? So unless
> you explicitly build a link to it, a visitor or search engine would
> never "find" it, unless they understood Forrest.

True.

> Btw: Is this page really needed in the _final site_? In other words
> could we not eleminate or at least generate it conditionally?

It cannot be generated conditionally, it is a fundamental part of
static site generation.

It could be deleted after the build, but how do we know it is not
being linked to (it is very useful and many Forrest sites, like our
own, use it).

> Or, as a very simple solution, not sync it?

I'm not sure what your measure of simple is. Using the CLI to achieve
what is needed is the simplest solution and requires no customised
build/deploy targets.

That being said, it is an option, just not one I would use.

Ross