forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating static pages that are not linked to
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:09:38 GMT
On 14/06/07, Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > This does not achieve the effect Patrick is after. As he points out in
> > the original mail, having a reference in site.xml results in the link
> > appearing in the page (although it is not visible). That will result
> > in content being indexed by search engines, which is precisely what
> > Patrick wants to avoid.
>
> I disagree.
> I wrote the mechanism in scales so it will not simply hide the menu
> entry in the page but not put it in there in the first place unless the
> page is the current page.
>
> Check out
> http://www.bildungsverein.de/dozentinnen/auto_dozentinnen_uebersicht.html
> then the navigate to the first entry
> http://www.bildungsverein.de/dozentinnen/auto_Nagy-Abd-El-Malek.html

Retrieve http://www.bildungsverein.de/linkmap.html and you will see
another link to the "hidden" page. This page appears in all Forrest
generated sites, it is what Forrest uses to as a list of pages that
need to be generated according to site.xml.

David's approach prevents the page being listed in linkmap.html.

There is another (theoretical) approach that does not require editing
of the cli config. I'll not detail it here, but if Patrick can't use
the cli config method for any reason I'd be happy to expand.

Ross