forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <>
Subject Re: Newbie with some javascript questions
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:32:25 GMT
On 06/06/07, Brian M Dube <> wrote:
> Lipsius, Eric M wrote:
> > This is how my code looks in my source file:
> >
> > <document>
> >    <header>
> >    <title>Search Tools</title>
> >    <script type=text/javascript" src="/skins/validations.js"/>
> >    </header>
> > </document>
> >
> > Am I not calling it correctly?
> XDoc has no script element. I don't recall at the moment how this is
> done with skins. By looking at pelt's document-to-html stylesheet, it
> looks like this element will be stripped implicitly. I don't think the
> solution calls for a custom skin, but I don't remember the details. It
> may be injected by skinconf.xml the way extra CSS is handled. With
> skins, I think the solution applies to every document and is not handled
> per document.

Hmmm... that's interesting. Our FAQ clearly states that this is
possible, but it appears the FAQ entry is misleading. Brian is correct
that the script element is not allowed in our XDoc.

There has been some discussion in the past, in particular see [1]
(which interestingly enough was written by me, but it was a long time
ago so you'll forgive me for not remembering, I hope. Note that my
reference to forrest:views at the end should now be read as
"dispatcher" which is now pretty stable in the whiteboard and will
almost certainly be moving out sometime in the near(ish) future.

In [2] you will find a little more discussion from someone who tried,
but failed to get this working. Let us know if you too have help, but
please give plenty of details, most of us do not embed javascript in
out source so we'll be providing options and pointers rather than
direct answers.

It would be really helpful if you could provide us with a better
answer to the FAQ question once you have this nailed.

View raw message