forrest-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Broken linkmap.pdf
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:12:06 GMT
On 31/05/07, Steve Odlind <SOdlind@omniture.com> wrote:
>
> My 0.7 docs contained numerous external <a href="http://www..."> and
> internal <a href="#..."> references, which were not included in site.xml.
>
> When I upgraded to 0.8, I noticed that these links were ignored in PDFs.
> Looking at document-to-fo.xsl, it seems that there is no <template
> match="a">, only a <template match="link|fork|jump">. When I change this
> template to <template match="a|link|fork|jump">, the build breaks with the
> following error message:
>
> "linkmap.pdf   BROKEN: internal-destination or external-destination must be
> specified in basic-link"
>
> The PDFs are then generated with working links, so this is not so much of a
> problem, as the only thing affected is linkmap.pdf. But it would be nice to
> have a successful build.
>
> Does anyone know what I have to do to get rid of this error message, and
> still have links that work in PDF? Do I have to change all my <a href="">
> references to <link href="">?

You are using the v2.0 DTD, so no, do not change your links.

> The version 0.8 document-v20.mod does not contain entries for "link", "fork"
> or "jump", but they are inlcuded in document-to-fo.xsl? Whereas "a" is
> included in document-v20.mod, but not in document-to-fo.xsl. Is this an
> oversight, or have I missed something?

There is no match for "a" elements since that element is only valid in
our XDoc 2.0. internally Forrest uses XDoc 1.3, which only supports
"link|fork|jump". The conversion from 2.0 to 1.3 is done prior to the
use of document-to-fo.xsl.

This was also the case in Forrest 0.7, it has not changed in the 0.8 release.

---

Given that the error you describe is not affected by any known change
that I can think of it sounds like it is either a strange side effect
in your site, or it is an error in your content.

Here's a few debugging steps we can try:

using your original source files and an unmodified document-to-fo.xsl
file request http://localhost:8888/testpage.xml

This will give you the internal XML that will be fed into the
document-to-fo.xsl stylesheet.

Inspect this file for anything strange, you should see that it is now
using the 1.3 version of the DTD and that all links have been
converted from "a" to "link|fork|jump" as appropriate.

Now request http://localhost:8888/testpage.fo this will give you  the
formatting objects file used to create the PDF.

Inspect this file paying particular attention to the links that you
expect to see.

If this doesn't highlight any specific problems then post snippets of
the source, internal xml and FO files. It may trigger a thought in
someones mind.

Ross

Mime
View raw message