forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating static pages that are not linked to
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:49:52 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >> Retrieve http://www.bildungsverein.de/linkmap.html and you will see
> >> another link to the "hidden" page. This page appears in all Forrest
> >> generated sites, it is what Forrest uses to as a list of pages that
> >> need to be generated according to site.xml.
> >
> >That's what I meant by having an additional sitemap (in the web master
> >sense of the word).
> >
> >But this page is not normally linked to from anywhere, is it? So unless
> >you explicitly build a link to it, a visitor or search engine would
> >never "find" it, unless they understood Forrest.
>
> True.
>
> >Btw: Is this page really needed in the _final site_? In other words
> >could we not eleminate or at least generate it conditionally?
>
> It cannot be generated conditionally, it is a fundamental part of
> static site generation.

The html version is not required. The internal xml
version probably is required.

As said, don't link to the html version.

Set the project.start-uri in forrest.properties to be
something other than linkmap.html e.g. index.html
(or even your own separate list of links). Cocoon
will crawl from there. However, any pages that
are not linked from index.html or its linked pages
will not be crawled. That is why it is better to
start from linkmap.html

-David