forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating static pages that are not linked to
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:25:56 GMT
Patrick Ohly wrote:

> I have a public web site for which I generate all content as static
> pages with "forrest site", then install with "rsync". This is working
> well and after going through the initial learning steps I have been very
> happy with forrest.

That is great to hear.

A "deploy.rsync" workstage for the Forrestbot would be
fanstastic. If you want to join us on the dev mail list.
Nudge, nudge.
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html

> There's just one thing that I have not been able to figure out: I want
> to write some pages as xdoc .xml, then have "forrest site" build
> the .html and .pdf for it, but I do not want to link to these files from
> any other page. The purpose is to have one public part which is visible
> to users and search engines and a more private part that I can point
> people to in emails by giving them the "secret" URL. The problem is that
> because "forrest site" only builds pages that are referenced and thus
> does not build the "hidden" pages.
>
> In the mailing list archives I found the hint to add a href without
> description, but the URL would still be in the source of the generated
> HTML, it's just not visible. It doesn't validate either with forrest
> 0.8.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I might be seeing the hint that you refer to at
Are you sure that that causes validation errors
in document-v20 xdoc? Use "link" rather than "a"
if using document-v1* xdoc.

Anyway i note your issue about not wanting these
links to be revealed.

See http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#cli-xconf
It hints at the solution, but only shows how to
exclude files.

This directs Apache Cocoon to add extra URIs for
processing. See
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/howto/howto-asf-mirror.html#link

However see the link to issue FOR-480 below that.
I see that we have not updated the howto doc
to show the proper workaround.

Look at our Forrest website as an example.
You have the source at $FORREST_HOME/site-author/
or you can see the current files via browse SVN.

Look in site-author/conf/cli.xconf search for "mirrors".
Our download page is generated but not linked.
The generated file is read and displayed by the
server's mirror CGI script.

I will try to update the docs mentioned above
and the FOR-480 issue.

-David