forrest-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Ohly <Patrick.O...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: generating static pages that are not linked to
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:28:55 GMT
On Fr, 2007-06-15 at 10:42 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > It uses dest="../../site-author/build/site". That might be relative to
> > site-author/conf/, but going up the corresponding number of levels
> > relative to my cli.xconf didn't work. Any suggestions?
>
> It is probably relative to $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/

That's indeed the case. I had searched for the files, but only in my
working directory and $FORREST_HOME, thus I missed the files which where
somewhere above $FORREST_HOME. Having a link relative to
$FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/ has the same problem as an absolute path: if
I move around stuff, I need to remember to update that path because my
$FORREST_HOME is unrelated to my project directory.

While looking at this again I also noticed that there was a whole
"build" directory under my $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp directory. That
worked for me, but what if that directory had been read-only? I think it
would be better if the default configuration only wrote in the project
directory.

Could the "build.context" that is mentioned in the top comment of
cli.xconf be used to achieve that? As soon as this build context
directory is inside my project directory I could also use a relative
"dest" parameter and not run into problems when moving things around. I
tried a few ways to set "build.context" (forrest.properties, -D, adding
a local.build.properties file) but without success (which just shows my
embarrassing lack of understanding how the different parts play
together... ;-)

In the meantime I will use a "dest=/tmp/" parameter and then copy the
files placed there into the normal build directory before invoking
rsync. Thanks also to Thorsten and Ferdinand for their alternative
suggestions, even though I decided to go with the modified cli.xconf - I
think it fits my needs better.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly