forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Brolin Empey" <brolin.em...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using Subversion keyword substitution instead of published date in skin navstrip - using Forrest 0.8
Date Sat, 12 May 2007 00:01:55 GMT
Brian,

Here is my plan:

1. Copy pelt and common skins to my Forrest site
2. Make needed changes to my local copies of above skins
3. Get my changes committed to SVN, in order to simplify future
Forrest upgrades, reduce duplication of custom files between my
multiple Forrest sites, and possibly help other Forrest users

Right now I am stuck at step 2.

I decided that it would be better to make a user-set variable to
control whether to suppress the "Last Modified" text in the pelt
skin's header and footer.  I used an xsl:choose element to emulate an
if/else construct.  An xsl:when element tests a skinconfig variable
named "disable-last-published".

The problem is that I do not know where to declare user-defined skin
variables such as "disable-last-published".  I cannot declare my
variable in skinconf.xml, because the name of my variable is not
included in the list of legal elements in the skinconfig DTD.
Furthermore, it appears that I would have to modify some other skin
files in order for the skin to make my variable available for testing
in my xsl:when element.

Initially I was going to declare my variable in forrest.properties,
but I did not know what name to use.  I tried setting
"disable-last-published=true" but this did not seem to work.

I know my changes to the pelt skin work because I made the changes
unconditional at first.  However, now I am trying to get both the
variable declaration and the conditional xsl template working.  I
realise this is a poor idea since I am dealing with 2 unknowns, but I
did not anticipate getting sidetracked by  searching for the right
place to declare my variable.

Thanks,
Brolin