forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: using Subversion keyword substitution instead of published date in skin navstrip - using Forrest 0.8
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 07:58:57 GMT
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 17:01 -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
> Brian,

hi Brain,

> Here is my plan:
>
> 1. Copy pelt and common skins to my Forrest site
> 2. Make needed changes to my local copies of above skins
> 3. Get my changes committed to SVN, in order to simplify future
> Forrest upgrades, reduce duplication of custom files between my
> multiple Forrest sites, and possibly help other Forrest users
>
> Right now I am stuck at step 2.
>
> I decided that it would be better to make a user-set variable to
> control whether to suppress the "Last Modified" text in the pelt
> skin's header and footer.  I used an xsl:choose element to emulate an
> if/else construct.  An xsl:when element tests a skinconfig variable
> named "disable-last-published".
>
> The problem is that I do not know where to declare user-defined skin
> variables such as "disable-last-published".  I cannot declare my
> variable in skinconf.xml, because the name of my variable is not
> included in the list of legal elements in the skinconfig DTD.
> Furthermore, it appears that I would have to modify some other skin
> files in order for the skin to make my variable available for testing
> in my xsl:when element.
>
> Initially I was going to declare my variable in forrest.properties,
> but I did not know what name to use.  I tried setting
> "disable-last-published=true" but this did not seem to work.
>
> I know my changes to the pelt skin work because I made the changes
> unconditional at first.  However, now I am trying to get both the
> variable declaration and the conditional xsl template working.  I
> realise this is a poor idea since I am dealing with 2 unknowns, but I
> did not anticipate getting sidetracked by  searching for the right
> place to declare my variable.

If you want to implement disable-last-published in the skinconf.xml then
you have to patch the core skinconfig DTD or create a new version of it
and use this dtd in your skinconf.

The problem is that you always have to update both files as soon as you
want add new variables.

Are you adventurous?

Since you are now getting into deeper chances of skins (with all the
downside you describe above) you may want to look into the dispatcher.
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/

It is still in the whiteboard but hopefully not for much more longer. It
takes the skinconf.xml to the next level. You will have full control
over the contracts that you want to add to your pages.

salu2