forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using Subversion keyword substitution instead of published date in skin navstrip
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 09:36:11 GMT
Brian M Dube wrote:
> Brolin Empey wrote:
>> Normally I would not like to edit the skin provided by Forrest as I
>> have done, for the maintenance reason you cited.  However, the
>> document I read on creating a new skin seemed to strongly discourage
>> users from creating their own skin unless they could not do what they
>> wanted by modifying an existing skin.
>
> In this case, I would take that to be an encouragement to copy a skin to
> your project and modify the copy, rather than start from scratch. It's a
> great way to learn about skins, which could further lead to adventures
> with custom skins from scratch or heavily modified standard skins.

That is correct. Although I would not copy an existing skin as such. I
would create my own skin and import the stylesheets from the existing
skin. Then override the templates you need to change. See, for example,
how the pelt skin imports the common stylesheets.

This makes maintenance much easier when upgrading to a new release.

Ross