forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can't create a multi-language static site
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:09:04 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Telford wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>Does http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/3620 help?
> >>
> >I tried with a freshly generated seed site and using the current forrest
> >HEAD (524481) to follow the instructions in
> >http://casa.che-che.com/blog/2005/05/10/internalization-a-site-using-forrest-07-dev/

> >.  It does generate files with the .en and .es endings, which would be
> >great for apache content negotiation, but the the created index.html.es
> >is generated from the source file file index.xml, not index.es.xml.  It
> >seems that the exported LANG environment variable is having no effect.
> >(It does pick up the content from index.es.xml if I browse to a dynamic
> >site ("forrest run")  and set the browser language preferences.)
> >
> >Either these instructions are out of date for 0.8-dev or I have made a
> >mistake. Can someone confirm either way?  Are there any other
> >mechanisms, such as property settings, for setting the language when
> >doing a "forrest site"?  I would be happy contribute some documentation
> >if I could get it to work,
>
> I'm afraid I can't help with this as I do not use the i18n features of
> Forrest. There are plenty of people who do though, so hand in there
> someone will speak up when they have time.
>
> Offering to document the process will certainly provide additional
> motivation for devs to help - thanks!

As well as the thread that Ross pointed to, there is various
more recent discussion. Sjur made a big effort recently,
but reached a stumbling block. Please do further discussion
on the dev list.

Andrew, thanks, a document would save an incredible amount of
time for everyone and reduce the amount of questions.

The document could be basic and have fixme notes for the
problem areas. Others can fill in the gaps or assist with
the development.

The demonstration in the 'forrest seed-sample' site
also needs to be enhanced.

-David