forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: comment-lines from html to xml to fo...
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:36:04 GMT
Thomas Emmel wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

>>> Please don't remove the meta-elements in these transformations as they
>>> are needed for transporting a number of different pieces of info about
>>> the source document from source to final html.
>>
>> These are commented out meta-element in the XDoc, they are not the
>> actual meta-elements. Please see the above comment in context for an
>> example.
>>
>> Are you saying that the commented meta-elements are used anywhere? I
>> am not aware of such a thing, and if they are used I do not understand
>> why they are commented out.
>>
>> Ross
>
> I use this meta-elements for additional chapter-counters, so that I have
> in my html-pages e.g. 2.5.x.x.x... and in the pdf too.
> Therefore I add
> to my .html
> In site-to-xhtml.xsl I process this information e.g. for every section.
> I know that is a dirty hack and it produces e.g. this
> <h1>
>
> Which looks realy ugly :-( in code but the result in the browser is
> looking good and that counts for our projects...
>
> However this meta is not valid vor the DTD and hence - I think - it is
> commented out. Although it gets processed (bug?).
>
> Give me a better work-around than using meta and I will be happy (And
> give me the time to implement that :-)))

Meta-Data support in Forrest is sketchy, at best. There is some support,
and quite a few discussions about the best way to improve that support.
I'd suggest starting with a mail archive search, particularly in the dev
lists. For starters you may like to look at [1], [2] (same thread, so
you should really read the whole thing really).

If this thread or your current thinking leads you to think that you can
help us create a better and/or more complete solution please join us
over on the dev list.

Ross

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110324061019177&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110357528502172&w=2