forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: newbie: how to use own css-files and attributes within html-source
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:53:11 GMT
Thomas Emmel wrote:

> I started to use forrest two weeks ago and I managed to set it up to
> do many of the tasks I need to do (write a huge technical documentation)
> together with a colleague of mine.
>
> However since most of our source documents will be or are native html or
> xhtml1 we use Nvu to edit and finish these documents and we use our own
> css-stylesheet.
>
> The problem with forrest so far is, that it will clean our definitions
> when preparing
> a skinned page (which is what we need).
> So unless there is no way to put e.g. "<span
> class="Button">OK</span>-button"
> inside the html-code without removal through forrest it would be useless
> in the end...

That is the correct approach. Any element can have a class attribute.

> In addition: I tried a lot of methods to add my css-file to the
> generated pages.
> I tried each and every method described (faq, mailing-list) without
> success and

See this FAQ.
 How to include additional Javascript and CSS files?
 http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#javascript

It tells you where to place the CSS file if you are using
skins. You can verify this in 'forrest run' mode with
localhost:8888/skin/myfile.css

The part that i cannot answer is how to declare the
<head><link> element to include your own CSS. One quick
workaround might be to add it to html-to-document.xsl

As others have mentioned, the new Dispatcher gives much
more CSS flexibility.

> now I think the point is the html-format which will not be scanned
> correctly
> or whatever.
> Is this true and are we forced to write xml?
> However writing xml requires a good editor to avoid going to much into
> detail in xml...
>
> A last question: I am willing to learn in this area but I need a
> starting point.
> It seems that the file html-to-document.xsl plays a big role in that
> case.
> How can I test what is done here?
> Is there an intepreter running (I am using linux) or who is doing the
> translation since the xsl-file seems to be just the receipt how to do
> the word. I am looking for the cook.

Apache Cocoon does the work behind-the-scenes.
Our documentation explains that.

-David