forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: newbie: how to use own css-files and attributes within html-source
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:05:12 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Xdoc is the current native input format used by forrest. It can
However handle multiple inputs and outputs, xdoc being just one.

The forrest document type is not really all that different from
XHTML, you write in xhtml, I don't think it a difficult step to
Write in xdoc xml. That said, the point I am making is that
Forrest are making a step towards accepting xhtml2 as a native
Input. This will not be in the next release however and so I
Wouldn't wait on it, just fyi.

> A last question: I am willing to learn in this area but I need a
> starting point.
> It seems that the file html-to-document.xsl plays a big role in that
> case.
> How can I test what is done here?
> Is there an intepreter running (I am using linux) or who is doing the
> translation since the xsl-file seems to be just the receipt how to do
> the word. I am looking for the cook.
>
> I tested with xhtml(1) too but this just returns an empty page after
> skinning.
>
> Any help is appreciated

To be honest, although Forrest v 0.7 is the current release, the 0.8 dev
Version is not far away, and if you've been using it only two weeks, I
Really would consider strongly using 0.8-dev, it is stable , just can
Not officially be called that yet as there are of course still a few
Things to iron out before its release.

In the 0.8-dev version, there is the dispatcher, will make your html inputs
And stylesheets so much easier to add and configure, along with the
Locationmap enhancements. Xhtml as an input has been started here, but is
Still in early development - due to browser and other program lack of
support f0or xhtml2, it is currently being transformed back to html
Anyway, but when they catch up, this step will I guess be ommited.

Gav...