forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Bolger" <pbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie to Forrest, with a suggestion
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:25:21 GMT
Hi Laura
Welcome to Forrest!
Firstly, when you refer to one of the user docs it helps if you give
the full URL. There are quite a few pages in that user documentation,
including different areas for the version 0.7 and 0.8 version of
Forrest - not having to clarify exactly which page you are talking
about can streamline things considerably.

The syntax for environmental variables is different for Windows and
Linux (and you should bear in mind that a large number of Forrest
users are using Linux) and setting them is considered to be outside
the scope of the Forrest documentation. Just have a Google around, the
info is not hard to find.
Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable
You don't need to reboot/restart Windows for changes to take effect,
but you may need to close the command prompt and reopen.
Finally, a tip: Get 'open command window here', a shell extension for
Windows published by Microsoft
It'll really save you a lot of time using Forrest.

Also, another windows only tip: don't put Forrest and your Java
installation (s) in 'program files', the space in the directory name
can cause problems.

Paul Bolger