forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Bolger" <pbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing font size/type
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:51:34 GMT
Sorry for being a smarty-pants, but:

> In basic.css we have :
>

> body {
>   font-family: verdana, "Trebuchet MS", arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
>   font-size: 100%;
> }

-isn't 100% the default value for font-size anyway? As a general rule
'don't-use-upper-case' - it just confuses the issue.

> #content {
>   font-family: Georgia, Palatino, Times, serif;
>   font-size: 95%;
>

> .codefrag {
>   font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
>   font-size: 110%;
> }
>
> In screen.css we have :
>

> body {  margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica,
> sans-serif; }

margin:0 would do the job just fine.

> #content {
>     padding: 20px 20px 20px 180px;
>     margin: 0;
>     font : small Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>     font-size : 80%;
> }
The 'small' in the font declaration is being overridden by the
font-size - no point in overriding your own rules :)
Back to the point of the conversation:
If you are trying to set font-sizes or fonts in html using a method
other than css you are on the wrong track -- that's what css is for:
to separate style from content.
Forrest css may be a bit convoluted, but you can get around that
(using dispatcher) by adding your own containers and then writing
selectors to suit - just ignore the stuff underneath.

The best way I know to edit css is: get Firefox - get the Web
developer extension - use 'outline current element' to see what's
going on - use 'edit css' to make changes in real time... copy the
contents of the edit panel often, or you'll end up losing work, paste
them back into your css editor. Use 'validate local css' and 'validate
local html' a lot (if your code isn't valid you'll have no hope when
it comes to working out what  IE is doing to your work - if you care.)
Web Developer also allows you to selectively switch off stylesheets.