forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing page layout
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:18:05 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:05 +0200, C. Grobmeier wrote:
>>> See the above linked document, all is explained in there (although
>>> maybe not clearly enough, patches welcome). In particular for changing
>>> colours  (as opposed to layout) see the skinconf.xml file, with
>>> particular attention to the <extra-css> and <colors> elements.
>>>
>> Thanks, i saw and read that. But i also want to change the layout of the
>> tabs and f.e. switch the menu to the right etc. I think this cannot be
>> done with extra css, or can i? As far as i understand with the above
>> link, when i have small changes like f.e. colors, logo etc i use
>> skinconf.xml. When i have bigger changes like modifying the tabs grafics
>> or putting the tabs to the right side and such things, i have to prepare
>> an extra skin with my own css. Looks like i have not to modify the xsl
>> in most cases.
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/#introduction
> "As stated in the Skin documentation the aim of the Forrest skins is to
> provide many capabilities so that extra skins are not needed. Experience
> showed that many Forrest users still decided to create a new skin
> because the default skin did not offer the features that they wanted or
> they "just" needed extra content in some pages. ..."
>
> I would say your case fuels our experience.

I disagree. Chris states that he does not expect to have to change the
XSL, thus no need for a new skin only CSS changes, thus everything can
be done via skinconf.xml.

Having said that, if Chris wants to move to the dispatcher he will
benifit from the many advantages of the dispatcher over skins, but he
will also be working with an unreleased version of Forrest.

Ross