forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: Changing font size/type
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:28:59 GMT

Smarty Pants is fine with me :) And yes it is default, I mentioned that
Toward the end of my reply.

 As a general rule
> 'don't-use-upper-case' - it just confuses the issue.

True and I'll suitably chastice my mail program for insisting on converting
The first letter of every line to uppercase.

> > #content {
> >   font-family: Georgia, Palatino, Times, serif;
> >   font-size: 95%;
> >

> > .codefrag {
> >   font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
> >   font-size: 110%;
> > }
> >
> > In screen.css we have :
> >

> > body {  margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica,
> > sans-serif; }
>
> margin:0 would do the job just fine.

I agree, with using the forrest css as examples I used them as is. I think
We both agree that the CSS still needs further work, I'm not sure it is an
Issue to get the next release out the door, but needs doing. Now David is
Going to spin out if we start prodding holes on our own CSS whilst at the
Same time recommending it to him as the way to go. Hopefully we haven't put
Him off ;)

> > #content {
> >     padding: 20px 20px 20px 180px;
> >     margin: 0;
> >     font : small Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> >     font-size : 80%;
> > }
> The 'small' in the font declaration is being overridden by the
> font-size - no point in overriding your own rules :)

Absolutely, do you want to go over the CSS Paul and see what else you
Can find, there is an Issue on Jira already for CSS Cleanup.

> Back to the point of the conversation:
> If you are trying to set font-sizes or fonts in html using a method
> other than css you are on the wrong track -- that's what css is for:
> to separate style from content.
> Forrest css may be a bit convoluted, but you can get around that
> (using dispatcher) by adding your own containers and then writing
> selectors to suit - just ignore the stuff underneath.
>
> The best way I know to edit css is: get Firefox - get the Web
> developer extension - use 'outline current element' to see what's
> going on - use 'edit css' to make changes in real time... copy the
> contents of the edit panel often, or you'll end up losing work, paste
> them back into your css editor. Use 'validate local css' and 'validate
> local html' a lot (if your code isn't valid you'll have no hope when
> it comes to working out what  IE is doing to your work - if you care.)
> Web Developer also allows you to selectively switch off stylesheets.

Good idea.

Thanks for your input Paul, good to see you still about.

Gav...