forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: Changing font size/type
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:43:23 GMT
Hi David,

Another good reference is
http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.dtdx.html which lists the
elements available, you'll see that 'sub'
And 'strong' are available as you've found out and that 'small' is not.

> You can extend the format but it's a little more complicated, tell me if
> you want some explanation...
>
> Salutations,
> Cyriaque,
> > I am not very familiar with stylesheets, etc., and that's why I'm
> looking
> > for a straightforward way to do this. For example, I can insert a <sub>
> tag
> > within a paragraph, but not <small>.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hmm, the 'easiest' way I know how is by using stylesheets, I realise you
mention you are not familiar, but to do it any other way may be going the
Long way round.

What version of Forrest are you using, and what skin/theme ?

Assuming Forrest 0.7 and using the pelt skin :-

Two stylesheets to look at are :-

%forrest_home%\main\webapp\skins\pelt\css\basic.css
%forrest_home%\main\webapp\skins\pelt\css\screen.css

Both of these are used and contain font types and sizes
Which you may be interested in.

Basic.css is applied first and all style rules applied.
Screen.css is applied next, it may contain new styles not present in
basic.css, but may also 'override' style values set in basic.css too.

A couple of examples :-

In basic.css we have :

body {
  font-family: verdana, "Trebuchet MS", arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
  font-size: 100%;
}

#content {
  font-family: Georgia, Palatino, Times, serif;
  font-size: 95%;

.codefrag {
  font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
  font-size: 110%;
}

In screen.css we have :

body {  margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif; }

#content {
    padding: 20px 20px 20px 180px;
    margin: 0;
    font : small Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size : 80%;
}

So in the first two cases, 'body' and '#content' are in both stylesheets and
so some values have been overridden in each case, some left alone. The third
Example '.codefrag' is not present in screen.css so is left as is.

Combining the style rules from the above gives us a final output of :-

body {

font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
font-size: 100%;
}

#content {
    padding: 20px 20px 20px 180px;
    margin: 0;
    font : small Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size : 80%;
}

So you can some some aspects of 'body' have merged whilst '#content' has
been completely overridden by screen.css version of that style.
Having a font-size of 100% in 'body' is pointless as that is the default
Anyway if it were not there, but that’s for another cleanup day, or it may
Be a browser quirk why it needs to be there I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, have a look round them files, see where they are applied and what
you might want to change from there. Give us a yell if you can't find the
Specific font/sizes you want to change.

There is also the 'extra-css' section in skinconf.xml you might want to look
At - I *think* but am not sure, that styles specified here will override
styles in all other stylsheets if present.

Gav...