forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Forrest Site: ER/Box
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:39:31 GMT
Matthias Ohlemeyer wrote:
> - There are some useful customisations there, some of which would be
> - useful to other users. Is there any chance of you creating plugins for
> - them so that devs an easily apply them to the code base? Doing this
> - would make the management of your site much easier when it comes to
> - upgrade time since there would be no changes to the core Forrest code.
> -
>
> Creating plugins? I have not the slightest idea what a plugin in forrest
> does or how it can be created. If there is something useful in those
> customisations which can be generalised I hope that the documentation on
> the ER/Box site will help devs to integrate it.

Plugins allow the addition of extra functionality to Forrest without
editing the core code. Some of your enhancements are not suitable for
plugins (skin enhancements), but if they moved to the dispatcher
(0.8-dev code) then they would be. Others are ideally suited for plugins
right now (0.7 code). See
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/pluginInfrastructure.html

Your docs are very clear. If you don't have the time to create plugins
yourself then we should create some issues and point to your docs.

> - [OT - your project looks great, I've been waiting for a version of
> - Compiere that is independent of Oracle for years - never had the time to
> - approach it myself - I'll be taking a close look soon].

> Thanks, see you over there!

Still off topic, but worth mentioning - Mathias seems to have done a
great job of making Compiere more accessible to those of us without a
budget for an Oracle installation. If you need a serious
ERP/CRM/Accounting system then check out his ERBox project on Sourceforge.

Ross