forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xinclude
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:43:58 GMT
Jim Dixon wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Following earlier advice, I removed that and rely upon the main Forrest
> sitemap.  In my first email today I wrote: "OK, this file, created after
> reading the advice above, has been dropped".

We are getting confused. I later asked you to add it back in (although
not explicitly I just said "XI:Include stuff"). However, now I know it
is not there lets leave it out (see below for the reason for the confusion).

You confirmed in an early post that if you remove the XInclude stuff
from your source document, the XML source file is found. Cool.

If you add your XInclude stuff back in you get a resource not found error.

You say that the logs do not tell you exactly which file is missing
(which is very unusual by the way, are you sure there is no file not
found exception in the logs?)

Since your original source is being found, it must be your included
source that is not being found. You can confirm this by requesting
eg/logMeIn.xml - you should see an XML document complete with your
unprocessed XI:Include statements.

So, check the location of your source document relative to your included
document and verify that the path in the source document is the same.

Note: it is better to use the cocoon:// protocol to resolve files since
this will make your source files more portable.

As I have said earlier in the post, there are examples of how to do all
this in the plugins directory.

>>This should be the pipeline that does the work in your project as
>>project sitemaps override the Forrest sitemaps.
>

> Is there a reason for using a project sitemap rather than relying on
> the main one?

Yes, and no.

XInclude is not enabled in all pipelines by default. It would create an
unnecessary processing step in the vast majority of cases. For example,
it is not enabled in the XML pipelines, but it is enabled in the html
pipelines. Therefore if you are XIncluding HTML you do not need to
override your sitemap, but if you want to add XML you do need to, I
assumed that you needed to do this as you had done so in your first
example.

Lets leave it out for now.

Ross

[1]