forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: is forrest the right choice?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:23:18 GMT
Short answer - no, Forest is not suitable for your use case.

Forrest is an XML publishing framework, it is not a Content Management
System.

Since Forrest is built on top of Cocoon, a web application framework,
you could make it do all the things you want, but you would be much
better adopting a framework already suitable for the purpose. I.e. go
directly to Cocoon or take a look at the two Cocoon based CMS systems:

http://lenya.apache.org
http://www.cocoondev.org/daisy

Personally I think Daisy is better suited to your needs. Lenya is a CMS
framework and would need much more work to get o the stage you want
(although gives you more flexibility in the long term). Daisy is pretty
much ready for your needs now.

The downside of daisy is that it does not store the structured part of
your data in a relational database and so querying a large data set will
be inefficient. You can modify it to do this, but if you have a large
data set you may be better considering Lenya since, as I say, it is a
framework designed for such customisation.

Of course there are plenty of other solutions you could go for that do
not use Cocoon as the framework, Apache alone has about a fair few
webapp framework projects.

Ross