forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making languages available in the menu
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:23:48 GMT
Børre Gaup wrote:
> I have successfully managed to i18n'ize our forrest documentation, where
> menus, tabs and content have the same language.
>
> I generate the different language specific sites into site/build/$langname.
>
> Some of our pages are available in up to five languages, but most are just
> available in one language.
>
> If I display a multilingual document, I would like to have a link to the
> parallel documents in the other languages. That means, if I am looking at a
> page displayed in norwegian, and I have that document also in english and
> finnish, I would like to have a link to those pages also (preferrably in the
> menu).

There are a number of things you need to do here:

1) decide what language variants are available
2) insert a link to the available pages in the body of the document
(like the PDF link)
3) insert a link into the menu

For 1)

You need to use the directory generator. This will give you an XML file
continaing details of all the files in a given directory and
sub-directories.

You can find examples of its use in the resume and projectInfo plugins
(note that you will need the latest sources for these plugins the
samples have been added after the 0.7 release was packaged).

You can find docs for the directory generator in Cocoon docs.

For 2)

Using the output of 1) you will need to enhance the skin (as you
suspected) to insert the relevant link into the skinned pages content.
Take a look at how the PDF link is inserted at the skinning stage. This
will show you how to add other links to your language files when they
are available.

For 3)

You will need to intercept the request for site.xml and dynamically
insert the relevant nodes for the available languages. Again, you will
need to use the output of 1). There are some examples of how to do this
in both the resume and projectInfo plugins (look for "site-snippet" in
the xmap files).

Ross