David Crossley wrote:
Terrence Brannon wrote:

 <header>
   <title>Magick</title>
 </header>
   <section id="live">
     <title>Live from Chaosmagic.com</title>
     <xi:include href="/skins/chaosmagic.js"/>
   </section>
</document>

I think that you are on the wrong track there.
You could perhaps try turn off xml validation
in forrest.properties for that particular page.

The FAQ is vague on this.
http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#javascript

It does say that the URI must be /skin/chaosmagic.js

It does not tell you how to get the "script" element and
attributes through to the output html, either in the
head or the body. Sorry i don't know the answer, but
see below.

I think that the FAQ really talks about skin-specific
javascript and css for enhancing the "pelt" skin
or creating your own.

So you could probably tweak the stylesheets in
$FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/skins/pelt/xslt/html/site-to-xhtml.xsl
to hack a reference to your .js files. That would
be site-wide not page-specific.

I have this solution implemented in a custom site2xhtml running on a live site,
but do want to find a targeted xinclude solution as what Thorsten laid out.
I tried months ago to solve it in sitemap then deferred to waiting for Dispatcher O:-)

Also tried to customize the schema for this and other solutions, but webapp/* kept stripping it
and I couldn't find the root in webapp/* that was controlling this. it wasn't the dtd's. Must be
hiding out in the 0.7 skin stylesheets.
Been working on some of this past few months, will note on dev when (if!!) I get it.

Holly (Helena)
Back to the "script" element ...
That is not present in the Xdoc schema (DTD). I am not
familiar with "script" in xhtml2, but if the behaviour
is the same, then we can perhaps add it to the xdoc DTD.

Then you could follow the sitemap processing of the
"meta" element to develop a similar procedure for
getting page-specific "head/script" elements through
to html output.

Also there might be other mechanisms using the new
Dispatcher capability in future versions of Forrest.

==========================
Finally, I'd like to make sure that this directory tree looks fine assuming
I have made not modes to forrest.properties:

As long as Forrest can read the files. It would need write access
to the livingcosmos\dev\build directory (or wherever you defined it).

c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
Documents\domains\org\livingcosmos\dev\src\documentation:
 total 28
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 11:10 .
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 11:10 ..
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 10:29 classes
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 10:29 content
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 Administrator 0             353 Jun 29 10:29 README.txt
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 10:29 resources
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 Administrator 0            2606 Jun 29 10:29 sitemap.xmap
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 Administrator 0           17891 Jun 29 10:29 skinconf.xml
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 11:10 skins
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 10:29 translations

 c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
Documents\domains\org\livingcosmos\dev\src\documentation\skins:
 total 4
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 11:10 .
 drwxrwxrwx   2 Administrator 0               0 Jun 29 11:10 ..
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 Administrator 0            2178 Jun 29 11:10 chaosmagic.js

This doesn't look correct. Which skin are you using?
If the default "pelt" then
src\documentation\skins\pelt\scripts\chaosmagic.js

The FAQ does specify this.

-David