forrest-user mailing list archives

From Brian M Dube <>
Subject Re: Catalogue application (Re: Dispatcher ClassCastException)
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:50:54 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Brian M Dube wrote:
>> I have seeded a plugin locally. I have some questions. Does this
>> master file need to validate?
> If there is a DTD defined in the document then it must validate.
>> If so, does the plugin define the schema or does the user?

I worded that poorly. I was asking whether the plugin should provide the
DTD and thereby define the structure of the catalogue, or leave it up to
the user to provide the data as well as its DTD. After some thought, the
latter option doesn't make much sense. The user would also have to
supply the transformation rules to get the intermediate XDoc.

> Not sure what you mean here. Plugins can include a DTD's - they go in
> resources/schema. You need to reference them in the catalog.xcat file in
> the same directory. See the ListLocations plugin for an example.
>> I really don't know which is easier for a future user of such a
>> plugin. I think the most flexible option would be internal support for
>> popular schemata with the option of extending the plugin with
>> user-defined schemata. Does this sound reasonable?
> Yes, that is the approach I was planning to take. For my use case I need
> to pull the data from an OSCommerce back end. I was planing on
> converting it to a "popular schema" and then going from their into XDoc
> for Forrest (it's a static publish so performance is not a key issue).

I think I will also use OSCommerce. Does that make it an OSCommerce
plugin, or should the scope remain neutral in the choice of backends?

> I've done no research into which schema to use, so if you have one in
> mind I'll just go with that - no point in splitting our efforts.

I haven't found anything particularly useful yet. My use case requires a
choice of options for most of the products. It would be nice if the
plugin could create the necessary form input methods, but I see no
support for this in XDoc.

View raw message