forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Recommendations for URL-based i18n like at www.verit.de?
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 12:59:37 GMT
Hi Forresters,

I'm looking at Forrest for a multilingual documentation project and
for a number of reasons (mostly to be able to dump the stuff to HTML
files) we'd like to have the language selection visible in URLs,
instead of using cookies or the browser's language selection.

Digging through the archives I found references to verit.de which
apparently uses Forrest in this way:

  http://www.verit.de/de/company/about.html
  http://www.verit.de/en/company/about.html

With "de" and "en" selecting the language, and all links generated
accordingly, while (I assume) having only one set of site.xml,
tabs.xml and related files.

My question: how to best implement this?

Adding this matcher to my project sitemap.xmap allows me to map
de/index.html to index.de.xml and fr/index.html to index.fr.xml:

      <map:match type="regexp" pattern="(de|fr|it|en)/(.*)\.xml">
        <map:match type="i18n" pattern="{project:content.xdocs}{2}.*.xml">
          <map:parameter name="locale" value="{1}" />
          ...etc

But then there's the generation of tabs, menus etc. where I'd like to
avoid rewriting existing Forrest pipelines, as much as possible.

Before I dig too deep, does anyone have recommendations about how to
best implement this? Appropriate "pipeline plugin" points? Or is that
a standard feature that I missed completely?

Thanks for your help,
-Bertrand